All kids love pancakes and mine are no exception. Here is a super easy, grain-free pancake recipe. I often make these pancakes a part of our Saturday breakfast. They cook quickly and come out light and fluffy. The recipe is by The Paleo Mom.
I've learned that green plantains can be an excellent grain-free and gluten-free flour substitute. They are starchy and have a neutral flavor. Even though they look a lot like bananas they are quite different. Plantains are used in many savory dishes and are very popular in the tropical regions. However, they are unsuitable raw and should only be eaten cooked. Plantains are a great source of a variety of vitamins and minerals including: fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6 and potassium. They also provide iron, magnesium, and phosphorous.
1 large green plantain
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tbsp coconut oil (plus more for frying)
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
- Peel and cut up the plantain.
- Place in blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until a smooth batter is formed.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour batter forming desired size pancakes.
- Cook 4-5 minutes, flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.